Me and My Wife

Me and My Wife

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Write A Play: Guns and Doughnuts: A Police Tale

Guns and Doughnuts: A Police Tale
Written By: Jacob Dively
Characters:
- A Veteran Police Seargent named Tim
- A Rookie Officer named Tom
- A Criminal/ drug user, unknown name
(Curtain opens to two police officers sitting in their patrol car. One is a gray haired veteran and is in the drivers seat, the other a blonde rookie. The time is around 2:00 am)

Tim: How can you drink those things? They look and smell disgusting!
Tom: (After taking a sip from his energy drink) For one they aren’t disgusting, they taste like candy in a can! And for two these things are the only thing that keep me awake on these stinking midnight shifts.
Tim: Oh you don’t like these shifts? I couldn’t tell, (rolling his eyes) you NEVER complain about them!
Tom: Oh so I’m a complainer now?
Tim: No. I’m just tired and there’s nothing going on and I haven’t had my coffee yet.
Tom: Want a sip?
Tim: What do you think?
Tom: Hey, just figured I’d ask.
(Across the police radio in the car comes a dispatch for them from a female dispatcher)
Dispatcher on radio: Car ten, respond to 205 oak street in the city. Suspicious person in the alley next to the residence.
Tom: (grabbing the radio microphone) Dispatch, car ten responding code 1.
(The lights and the siren on the car turn on and the curtain shuts. When the curtain opens next the two officers are walking down a dimly lit street, flashlights in hand)

Tom: You seeing anything Sarge?
Tim: Yeah. See there between those two garages?
Tim: Shoot now he saw us. Go get him rookie!
(Tim stays put while Tom goes running off stage)
Tom: (yells from off stage) I got him!
Tim: Good! Now bring him over here.
Tom: Ok!
Tim: You ok?
Tom: Yeah. Caught him trying to jump a fence.
Tim: Ok get him over here then!
(Tom walks the criminal onto the stage up to Tim)
Tom: He thought he could outrun the beast! Ha-ha! Better luck next time dude. I’m the best there is.
Tim: (chuckling) Ok there Rambo. I’ll hold him, you frisk him.
Tom: Why do I gotta frisk him?
Tim: You caught him, you frisk him.
Tom: Who’s rule is that?
Tim: Mine
Tom: Ok Sarge. Whatever you say.
(Tom Starts frisking the suspect and finds something)
Tom: What have we got here?
Criminal: Whatever it is it ain’t mine.
Tom: Dude it’s in your pocket therefore it is yours. Get the picture?
(Tom pulls a pistol from the criminals front jacket pocket)
Tim: Nice find kid!
Tom: Wow! This is a big piece dude. .44 Magnum. Hand Cannon!
Tim: What the hell are you doing with that?
Criminal: I ain’t saying nothing else. I want my lawyer!
Tim: Oh you’ll eventually get a lawyer. But tonight your going to have fun in a nicely accommodated 3 by 6 box. Make sure there’s nothing else on him Tom and cuff him and stuff him. Good find Kid.
Tom: Sounds Good Sarge (With a huge smile on his face he walks the criminal off stage, hands cuffed behind his back.)
Tim: ( grabbing the radio microphone off his belt) Dispatch from officer ten one, one in custody, possession of an illegal weapon, resisting arrest, and trespassing. Will be in route to the station shortly.
Dispatcher: Ten four. Good find.
Tim: (Dropping to his knees and putting his hands together) Father, thank you for helping us get this guy off the street safely, thank you for not letting him pull that revolver, and thank you for giving me a good partner. Amen.
(Tim gets up off his knees, dusts himself off, and walks off stage the same way Tom took the criminal. The curtain shuts on an empty, dimly lit, quiet street. Then it opens back up to the original opening scene, the two officers in their patrol car, except this time Tom is in the driver seat, energy drink in hand. Tim has a coffee cup in one hand and a doughnut in the other.)

Tim: Good Job back there kid. You did everything right and took a dangerous criminal off the streets. Who knows what he would have done with that freaking thing. I’m proud of you.
Tom: Thanks Sarge. That means a lot coming from you.
Tim: Call me Dad son. It’s been a long night. (Tom is actually Tim’s son)
Tom. Ok. Thanks Dad. So how have you made it so long in this business? You’ve told me a million stories of crazy things that have happened. How do you put up with it all?
Tim: Well son, knowing I’m helping someone every shift I’m out here, Faith in the good Lord, and knowing that at the end of every shift, no matter how crazy, I always have your Mom and you kids to come home to. Simple as that.
Tom: I’ll have to keep all that in mind. Thanks Dad.
Tim: Your welcome son. Now you know what else you’ll get to do tonight?
Tom: (with a questioning look on his face) What’s that?
Tim: (With a big smile on his face) All the paperwork of course! You caught him so that’s your responsibility to!
Tom: Oh great. Thanks Dad. Just what I wanted.
Tim: Hey I have a wife to get home to. She will be really ready to see me!
Tom: Way to much information Dad. Way to much!
(Both are smiling and laughing as the curtain closes and the lights come on)

No comments:

Post a Comment